Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 Lts, Suspend / Hybernation / Standby not working

Suspend/standby/hibernation & Resume has always worked on my HP dv7-6190ed, until recent.  After update to kernel 3.2.0-24 or 25 it caused issues where the system would resume to a black lit screen. Ctrl+Alt+F1 console works and you can restart that way but it's pretty much all you can do at this point. (Going back to gdm, with Ctrl+Alt+F7  doesn't work either) 
So using this fix seems to do the trick for now.
(NOTE:  Suspend/Standby/Hybernation & Resume worked flawless with 11.10 on the same laptop!!)


1. Open Terminal session, and create a script:
sudo gedit /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd

  2. Insert (paste this code):
#!/bin/sh
# File: "/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd".
TMPLIST=/tmp/ehci-dev-list

case "${1}" in
        hibernate|suspend)

        ;;
        resume|thaw)

     chvt 1
     chvt 7
        ;;
esac

3. Change permissions, (make executable):
sudo chmod 755 /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd


Hope this does the trick for now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! You saved my life (or a few hours of my time).

    I have a HP Pavilion dv7-4117ez. Supsend/resume worked fine for me on 11.10. I updated last week to 12.04 and then 12.10. Resume didn't work on 12.10 (and I had a lot of other problems with the fglrx driver). Your trick didn't work for me. I reinstalled 12.04 today, updated the bios (with windows), applied your trick, and now it works.

    tl;dr your trick works on a HP Pavilion dv7-4117ez with ubuntu 12.04.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks allot for this trick, after upgrading my Gateway NV55S05u to 12.10 LTS from 12.04 hibernate no longer worked. I figured this was just an artefact from a warm upgrade so I reinstalled 12.10 LTS from a destructive rebuild and yet resume from hibernate still did not work, after applying this fix everything worked out perfect. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous, even if you do not share the same view.